News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Saddles for Lesson/Lease Horses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle
sr14225

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Saddles for Lesson/Lease Horses Reply with quote

I became discouraged after my last lesson because the instructor didn't tell me the mare I was riding had a sore back and withers. This mare has a reputation for being marish so when she balked and pinned her ears back I figured it was because of the gelding standing in front of her on the crossties. She wasn't lame, but she didn't respond to my leg like I would have liked her to and I attributed it to bad equitation on my part. I found out after an ugly jump that she was sore. (rubbed her back and withers after taking the saddle off and she really flinched.) She also became a bit swaybacked now that she's older. I love riding, but I don't want to hurt the horses. What do I do when I ride lesson horses or lease horses and I'm not sure about the saddle fit? If it was my horse I would buy a proper saddle, but I can't buy a saddle for every horse I ride. Many people try to fix problems by using various pads (as was the case for the mare I rode.) Instructors often use the same saddle on many different horses regardless of fit. I'm no expert on saddle fitting myself. What can I do to help these horses be more comfortable? I'm looking at different stables to take lessons at, but I'm leasing a horse I like and I want to make sure the saddle fits. The saddle I use (a Pantene International from the stable) seems balanced on him, except the gullet seems just a little wide (the saddle comes too close to his withers, I can only fit one finger underneath when I ride him.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1