News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
saddle fitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle
toomanyhorses

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: saddlefitting-Repost of previous post-under username Reply with quote

REPOST OF PREVIOUS MESSAGE AS I HAD NOT LOGGED IN AFTER REGISTERING AND COULDNT SUBMIT CORRECTLY--SORRY!

Dear Galadriel,
I have a 6 year old 12 hand pony that I purchased for my 4 year old daughter. I planned on riding him reguarly myself, and when she is old enough to begin riding (without being led about),he would be a reliable mount. . He is very willing, kind, but green, as he came from Mississippi where he basically roamed a 60 acre pasture, drank from a creek and ridden occassionally by the owners 8 year old son. I am 5 feet tall and weigh 105 pounds. I have been using a 16" Thorowgood AP saddle (wide). It does not appear to interfere with his shoulder, extend too far on his back (as he is a pony), does not leave uneven sweat marks, and has equal clearance underneath from the pommel to the cantle(please forgive my ignorance in trying to convey the saddle specifications-as I might not be using the correct terms). This is my dilemma. He is a very round, flat backed (no wither whatsoever) pony. I find myself tightening the girth over and over again to keep the saddle from slipping side to side. Its as if I cannot get it tight enough and I do not want to discomfort him either. Also any saddle I have placed on his back (I have 4 horses of diffenent sizes and body shapes, so I have to own multiple saddles) wants to slip forward. I try to always extend and stretch his front legs forward after girthing to ensure proper placement. someone suggested a crupper, but I have no experience with this type of tack and feel uncomfortable using one. He appears to move freely under this saddle but I do not know how to address the problem of slipping. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also I know you do saddle fitting, but I live in central Florida-Winter Haven(about 20 minutes west of Disney)and I do not know if you travel that far or are ever in the area. Please feel free to email me (privately if you wish) regarding a consultation, your availability to travel and fees. Thankyou very much.
Sincerely,
April
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi April. I went ahead and deleted your duplicate post (as "guest") for you.

Fitting a saddle to a round pony has been known to be difficult. I also wonder if your pony is a little overweight Smile which can make the surface of the back a little more wiggly, and encourage saddles to shift.

I tend to like Thorowgoods, but it sounds like the one you have may not be ideal for the pony. I'm going to email you privately for more discussion; among other things, a few pictures may be helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1