News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Saddle Fit/Moving Forward

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle
kcriding

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Saddle Fit/Moving Forward Reply with quote

The saddle fitting process for me has become unbearable. No matter what I put on this horse, (saddle, surcingle), it slips forward on to his shoulder. I had spent more money on saddles that don't fit, fittings, videos, pictures, fitting visits, shipping charges, than I care to total up. I currently hae 4 saddle on trial. 3 of which "could" work for my horse from a fitting sense as he stands still. But in movement, either it moves, he doesn't want to go forward (saddle or horse?), it's uncomfortable for me etc.

Any advice on anti-slipping pads/girths? Any advice on saddle fits? Should I just by a gerbil? Rolling Eyes
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought:
http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92984

Saddles sliding forward are often the result of a forward girth groove: the horse's conformation forces the girth forward, and then the girth drags the saddle forward. A saddle may also slide forward if it is placed incorrectly, if it is too narrow, or if the balance is poor so that the saddle is driven forward by the weight of the rider.

If the problem is the forward girth groove, then what you'd need is some way to allow the girth to sit forward (it's going to anyway; you can't prevent it) without pulling the saddle forward with it. The link above has one solution. I have also seen a slit in a saddle flap, which forces the front billet to stay forward:

You can try using one of the anatomical girths that are designed to curve back and away from the horse's elbows (such as the County Logic). If you *reverse* it, then it may sit in the girth groove, but still buckle to the saddle at a good angle to the billets.
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And hey, think about how pear-shaped a gerbil is...that sucker would definitely be downhill! Probably a saddle would slide forward on it, too.
kcriding

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Forward Saddle Reply with quote

Can you e-mail me a good time to call you or give me a call. 863-680-7468. If I can pick your brain a little that will help. And if not, I may have to order a Custom Saddle For the GERBIL. Laughing

Also, have you every heard about these girths?
http://www.classicsaddlery.com/girthsleatherirons/girths.htm

It's the Gibaud girth. The last one on the page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1