News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Pushy Stallion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Ground Manners
Shannyn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Pushy Stallion Reply with quote

I am a trainer in Mississippi and i have recently purchased a buckskin warmblood stallion to add to my collection of breeding stallions at my farm Razz . This stallion has risen some thoughts in my mind about owners and stallions etc. When i went to view this stallion the owners absolutely had NO control over this 18H 1800lb stallion Shocked . It was rediculious seeing the owner fight this stallion just to show him to me Confused . I bought the stallion to show and breed even though i knew it would be a long journey of retraining. I brought him home and started my round pen training everyday sometimes twice a day, teaching him basic leading and commands. However this stallion is so very pushy. He is ALOT better now- BUT he is still very vocal and somewhat pushy on his stall door - expecially when he even catches a glimpse of a mare in the distance. Progress is slow, but i am just as determined as he is. I often wish people wouldnt buy a stallion if they cant provide the training or afford it, knowing it is going to be BIG, and knowing he must be handled daily, if they CAN NOT do this WHY buy one Rolling Eyes ?? I did get the stallion reasonable but i believe my hard work retraining this guy with some manners is equal to his overall value. I would love to hear your comments on this. Even some suggestions - i am a very open trainer and love to learn new techniques - share your ideas and thoughts on this matter. He is broke very green and i am working very hard on his ground manners before i even put my leg over his back. Thanks for reading!
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 18 hand bucksin warmblood stallion must be something to see Smile Do you have a website?

It sounds like you're moving in entirely the right direction. I hate to hear of stallions who are only handled with a bit (or worse, a chifney) because they are "studdy." Sounds like you've done a lot of nice work so far; congratulations. I'd venture to guess that you're probably right about the value of the training you've put into him. Hopefully, it will help draw stud fees when people are impressed by his good behavior Wink I know that a stallion who can behave himself is much more appealing to me.

Remember that circles are much harder than straight lines (especially for less fit or less balanced--or large--horses), so extensive roundpenning may be a little hard on him. I often do "round pen" type work in arenas or even turnout pastures.

As you say, you knew that progress would be slow. You've done quite a lot already. It's been my experience that progress doesn't move in a straight line; sometimes you get a lot, sometimes you go for a while without much at all. I'm sure that with sympathetic but *proper* handling, you'll be able to get this guy under your thumb Wink in time.
Shannyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to his Webpage. I will get new photos soon. I have body clipped him now and pulled his mane. He is looking very sharp! Very Happy

http://rollinhillsfarmarkansas.freeservers.com/custom.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Ground Manners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1