News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
New horse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Misc
JamieL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: New horse Reply with quote

So I have decided I am going to get a horse. But not till the end of this year. (so I can set up a bank account and put the money from all of my pay checks into it for the next 7-8 months)

I found a neat site with free horses and some for cheap. It gives me a chance to spoil my new horse. I just don't know what kind to get.

I am 5'3 1/2, 115 lbs, I have brown hair, Oh I'm 16 lol. I have all the patience in the world for horses. I care for them so much. I plan to ride western. And I have taken the costs of owning a horse into mind.

Any ideas? Razz
faith1013

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about the same size/ age, a little older than you, and think I can give you some insight as to what you are looking for.

You're pretty much light/ small enough for anything above medium pony, if you aren't planning on huge jumps, I would go for somewhere between 14.2 hands to 15.3. Go with a cob or medium size horse. Larger ones can be somewhat intimidating if you haven't ridden in a long time, but may be a good choice too!

Personally, my favorite horses for my size are Fjords, quarter horses, paints, or Appaloossas. Another option might be a thoroughtbred, but they tend to be somewhat high strung and may be too much to handle if you haven't been around horses in a while.

Personality wise, Fjords are the most reliable as they tend to be capable of diverse disciplines.

Hopefully that was helpful, though it was a lot of information! Rolling Eyes

p.s. If you plan on high jumps (anything over 2.5 feet, you might want to focus on 15.3-16 hands so that their muscles are not strained.)
Just remember that height does not equal strength necessarily, and some of the stronger horses are shorter and stubbier.

GOOD LUCK! Very Happy
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A first horse is a huge investment--even when they're free--and it's better to be absolutely sure before you commit. A good way to do this is to work with a trainer who can evaluate your riding level, and help evaluate the potential horses to make sure they are suitable for you.

Here's a recently published article on picking your first horse:
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=11575

Some thoughts:
* Even if the horse is free, have a pre-purchase inspection done. The vet may find something that will save you wear, tear, and anguish down the road. If the horse is likely to soon be permanently lame, or has respiration or heart issues, then you will not be able to ride this horse for long, but will be stuck paying its expenses for the rest of its life.

* DO NOT believe in "love at first sight." This is a syndrome that leads to heartache and injury, when the horse is not suitable for you. Have someone objective help you to evaluate the horse, and if the horse is not suitable for you, WALK AWAY.

Horses are wonderful and amazing, but there are horses out there who will not work for you. Take the time, invest the money, make sure you do find one who will work well with you. Height and breed are not as important as temperament and training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1