News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Jumping, when to start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle
Monty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Jumping, when to start Reply with quote

Hi , I am Marissa and I have a 6 year old ex-race thoroughbred named Monty. At the begenning I was a novice rider taking on an ex-race horse. My mom thought it was a bad idea but my instructor thought I could do it.

From last September I still have Monty and he has givin me loads of confidence. We understand eachother a lot. Even though sometimes he can be a brat we work through it. I recently started lunging and it works really well with him. And in the past week we started the jumping basics. I put 3 poles on the ground and walk and trotted him over them and he was GREAT! I read your information on Jumping and I was just wondering where do I go from hear?
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, it's been a busy week.

You said that you've seen my info on jumping. I'll just stick the link to the teaching a horse to jump here:
http://lorienstable.com/articles/jumping/150-the_horse/

Using the sequence of steps there, it's important to give the horse enough time to absorb one step before you move on. When you lunged your horse over the poles, the first time he may have taken a good look at them, or he may have just gone right over without a second look. Once he really seems to think that lunging over poles is easy, it's okay to move on to the next step.

You can gauge the horse's readiness to move on. Observe his behavior in the current phase of training. If he performs the current phase (in this instance, lunging over poles) smoothly, without knocking himself or the poles, and with confidence, then you can move to the next step (in this instance, putting a small crossrail at the 4th pole, and lunging through).

Once he is calm and confident about the crossrail, in both direction, then you can start making the crossrail higher, or removing the placing poles.

Good luck with Monty Smile Let me know how things are going!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much your the greatest! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1