News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
I just fell...hepl!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle
**iloveyou**

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: I just fell...hepl!! Reply with quote

Hello!
i just went riding at a new barn that I go to where i take group lessons(approx. 7 riders per class). I ve been riding for 4 years and although ive lost my balance a couple of timesand ALMOST fell, I never "really" fell.
Today changed that, however. And it wasnt a little thing, either.I was riding outside the ring with the other students whilemy trainer was helping someone IN the ring. We were all walking, everything seemed calm. I was either behind or ahead of the other horses, when two ponies came rushing in.The four yr old i was riding is a really nervous mare and she freaked out a little at first, i thought i controlled her pretty weel...then she reared. ive had horses rear with me before(my horse did so alot when i first got her) but not like this one. she reaed a bit at first, and i wasnt expecting it it happened so fast i ost my balance but stayed on the horse. The horse reared even mor and i had the impression that she was perpendicular to the soil(can that be or was it just cause i was on top of her?). anyways i was losing m balance more and more(now i was falling of her side) but i was planning to regain it when she would come back down.she didnt. i kept falling till i was doing what i know is the absolute WORSE thing to do, especiallywhen the horse is rearing: i was holding on to the reins. the more i did that obviously, the more the horse rear3ed and i got really scared the horse would fall back if i kept pulling( can that happen??)so i let myself slip to the ground.i fell but i didnt hurt myself. the horse came down and then started moving around and, being in shock as i was, i cant remeber if the horse stepped on me or not( obviouslynot hard cuz i would have hurt myself)but i do remeber a vague image of her front leg coming straight at me. then i rolled over and ran. all this happend in a second or two...THINK FAST!!
okay so now here i am.Miraculously i dint get hurt, but i will try to still go see a doctor tommorrow because you never know right? idid get back on the horse, just walking...i dont know what happened, im still in shock, and i dont know who i should be mad at: my trainer, me or the people wh let the ponies lose.
im not really for group lessons cause the teacher cant focus on all the kids
and if this had been an individual lesson she would have probably seen the ponies come and told me to get down, since i dont know the horse( this was my second time riding her)
whatever so now the problem is my trainer wants me to compete ocyober 2. with this mare. my mom doesnt really want me too and im not so confident either anymore. if shes nervous and rears like that with two ponis, how will she be with 30,40 horses around her? should i ask my trainer to give me another horse??
please help!!!
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I apologize for taking a few days to answer your post. I am in Florida, and was affected by Hurricane Jeanne as it went across the state. I'm back now Smile

If I understand you correctly, you were riding a horse in a lesson, then two loose ponies ran into the arena. This spooked the horse, who became anxious, and then began to rear. After several rears, you came off the horse to the side.

You're now not entirely certain about your confidence, and you're also having questions about the whole experience. Is all of that accurate?

My first thought about this situation is "why are you riding a nervous mare in lessons?" Is it because you are an accomplished rider, and your instructor is teaching you to handle more nervous horses? Or is it just because that's the horse you were on? Certainly a fall--or being on a rearing horse--can knock your confidence a little. If you don't feel secure riding a nervous horse, then you might be happiest asking to ride a different horse.

If you are capable of handling this horse, but you are just a little shaky after the fall, then you could try just asking to ride a more sedate horse for a little while. Often, riding a nice ploddy "been there done that" horse can help you regain confidence in a hurry. Once you're feeling more self-confident, you could happily go back to riding the more nervous mare.

Generally, in lessons you should be riding a safe, calm horse. If you wouldn't be happy riding a nervous horse in your lessons, then you should probably say so. It could be that your instructor has a reason for putting you on this horse--or it might be that the instructor doesn't know how you feel about the horse.

In almost any case, the best solution is simply to go discuss the issue with your instructor. You can tell your instructor how you feel about your riding skills, and whether or not you feel confident on this horse; you can find out if there is another horse you can ride, and you can find out if the instructor had a specific reason for you to be riding the nervous mare.

Is there any way that you can get into private lessons? I agree; group lessons are a lot less personal and take up more of the instructor's attention. Perhaps getting into private lessons, and having more one-on-one time with your instructor, would help you have more time to talk about your feelings about the horses you're riding, and about your confidence in your skills.
**iloveyou**

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou soooooooo much for your advice!! Very Happy
I hope the hurricane didnt cause too much damage
My trainer must have read my mind because she automatically put me on a almer horse, and for the horse show too.By the way, i got a second place!! Very Happy
I recently found a teacher that gives private dressage lessons and i started yesterday, i really enjoyed it and it is the first time since i "moved" to this barn that I learned something. Smile
Thanx again, its nice to be able to discuss things with other people.
and an advice to all: never be OVER confident Wink
meljul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to my father. Awesome reared and my father pulled back on the reins, throwing them both off balance and they fell. Awesome landed on my dad then stepped on him again. Awesome was fine but my dad has a pretty serious hematoma on his thigh. A week after they fell he was put in the hospital for a week with severe infection. Not something you want to have happen two days after buying your horse!! Glad you doing okay!! I'm taking private lessons too! I wouldn't want it any other way.
**iloveyou**

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god that must hav been a horrible experience!! hope you're ok now...im great. Is your dad still riding awesome? i hope they're getting along now...
psalisbury

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Regain confidence Reply with quote

Hi - I'm new here and like what I have been reading! I recently fell off my Thoroughbred Mare - I was trying to teach her to trot from a stop, got her to do it once and the second time she didn't want to hear it! I went right over her head, landed on my head and separated my shoulder and fractured my scapula! All this two days before my daughters wedding - huge bummer! (although the wedding was beautiful and I obviously made the best of it!) My issue has been regaining my confidence for the past year - I bought her a year ago after deciding to get bak into riding after 25 years - I was way "over sold" this off the track Thoroughbred and have been extremely stubborn insisting that I can work with her - well after this I'm pretty much done with her but not ready to give up on riding all together! I have her up for sale and she will make a great horse for an advanced rider, meanwhile I'm looking for a beginner, bombproof horse and won't get on another horse without first hiring a trainer! Unfortunately it took me getting pretty seriously hurt to come to the realization that I need some professional help! Any advice is welcome and much appreciated - even if it is just some confidence boosters! Thanks for listening!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would find another place to take lessons. A four year old is just too young and "green" to be a lesson horse. You need a well schooled lesson horse in order to get the most from your lessons.

It's just not worth the battle (or your well being).

I myself have fallen off a few times before. Once was pretty bad and I almost broke my back. That was on a young horse. I left that barn and never looked back. I have been at my current barn 8 years now and have been riding nothing but well behaved school horses and lost the fear of riding that I had developed.
sr14225

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 riders? That's a lot. Maybe this mare was the only horse left to ride.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1