News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
flying lead changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: flying lead changes Reply with quote

hi!!
i recently started dressage and im doing alright (i think) except w/ flying lead changes...i just dont get them!...
i noticed this site was more hunter-jumper but any idea or tips on how to get those lead changes would be much appreciated!!!
Question
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

All riding is definitely based on flatwork. With a focus on "combined training," I definitely consider dressage a very valuable tool.

In a flying lead change, you switch leads while still cantering. (I'm sure you know this). The request for a flying lead change, however, is *exactly* like the request for a canter depart. Essentially, you are asking for a canter depart on the other lead.

So if you are cantering on the right lead and you want to cue a flying change, you would ask for a left lead canter depart.

It will be easiest for the horse to switch leads while in between strides. There are three beats to a canter stride--outside hind, inside hind and outside fore, and then inside fore. There is then a brief pause while the horse collects himself for the next stride. To most effectively ask for a lead change, you'll want the horse to change leads between strides. You will therefore want to ask just ask the inside fore sets down, ad just before the pause.

Good luck Smile A nice flying change is a lovely feeling. It's useful in both flatwork and in jumping, and most horses can manage a flying change while playing in turnout. A good, smooth dressage flying change has a lovely feeling to it, and is definitely worth trying for.
tro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: flying changes Reply with quote

I know that to execute a flying lead change you have to ask for a canter depart while you are still cantering. Whenever I try to cue my horse with my outside leg all he does is speed up and get off balance. Is there anything that I can do?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a horse speeds up instead of transitioning or otherwise following a cue, then I suggest combining the cue with a half-halt. Either half halt and then cue, or half halt and cue at the same time.
http://lorienstable.com/articles/riding/900-half-halt/
susanfxtrt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: flying lead changes Reply with quote

In the Western world, Jack Brainard is the recognized expert in flying lead changes. I watched Jack demonstrate how to get flying lead changes on a horse that was trained to leg aides very well.
His theory is that you ask when the front leg hits the ground. By the time your brain digests this and your body asks for the lead change, the horse is in the right position to change the lead.
My trainer went to a Jack Brainard clinic. At the end of the clinic all the horses in the clinic were doing flying lead changes on the straight.
That is amazing. Even the horses that she thought there was no chance in heck a flying lead change would happen...did.
She came back and did flying lead changes on my horse..on the straight. I have trouble with flying lead changes with my horse going fast on the straight of figure 8's.
Jack has written a new book. He is a Western legend. He's in his late 70's I believe and is still doing clinics.
Amazing all the more.

some of the factors of flying lead changes is your body position and the horse's body position (it must be straight). Your horse needs to respond to your leg aide immediately with a (Yes, Mam...how fast and how far do you want me to move sideways) A flying lead change is a sideways request.
That's all I know!
Susan

******** wrote:
hi!!
i recently started dressage and im doing alright (i think) except w/ flying lead changes...i just dont get them!...
i noticed this site was more hunter-jumper but any idea or tips on how to get those lead changes would be much appreciated!!!
Question
amanda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: flying lead changes Reply with quote

hi my horse hasnt quite got flying lead changes and i dont really know how to do them i love doing hunter and jumper but i always lose points when my horse cant do a flying lead change what should i do?
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has your horse been taught flying lead changes? This isn't always something that comes naturally.

There are several ways to teach a lead change. One of the easiest is this way:
* Begin cantering in a figure 8. Canter the first circle.
* As you approach the middle of the 8, straighten your horse. Drop to a trot for a few strides. At the center of the figure 8, ask for the opposite lead, and then canter your second circle.
* As you return to the middle of the 8, straighten your horse, drop to a trot, and ask for the opposite lead.

Repeat this a few times until you barely have to trot for a stride in order to switch leads. Then, instead of dropping to a trot, simply half-halt and ask for the opposite canter lead.

With the right preparation, a horse can learn to switch leads with balance and poise. It just takes showing them how to do it without making a fuss. But you can't expect a horse to make a flying lead change if he hasn't been taught how.

---

If your horse can do a flying lead change but can't manage it at a show, consider that you may need to be more focused/less tense in the show ring. When you want a flying lead change, take a deep breath (don't forget to exhale and keep breathing!), do a half-halt, and ask *veeery*clearly* for the opposite lead. If you are balanced and the horse is balanced, then it makes a big difference to the quality of the lead change.
kristinandrews2003

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: from simple change to flying change Reply with quote

I have a 13 yr old appy/quarter cross. We are trying to go from simple change to flyign change. HE have tried firgure 8's, pols and cross poles to jump in the middle of the ring and circles then cutting circle in half to change. He does this weird break from the canter for half a step then picks up the correct lead. he doens't really trot a full step but he doesn't keeo cantering. he also starts rushing when he realizes we are going to need to change. his good lead is his right lead. he just learned how to collect this winter and is doing extremely well.
my trainer and i are lost for ideas. can some one please help us with a new idea?

Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1