News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Flying Change of lead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Flying Change of lead? Reply with quote

ok well I just started riding maybe a year ago, anyways my teacher requires homework and I just dont get this week's Embarassed . These are the questions.
1. What is a flying change of lead
2.Why is it important?
3.when would you use it and how?
4.What are the most important characteristics
5. Is this exercise Longitudinal or Lateral and why?

Please if u know any of the answers email me at godslittlerocker14@yahoo.com

Thank you so much,
Stephanie
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have posted about flying lead changes here:
http://lorienstable.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48

You can read that thread to see what a flying lead change is. Once you've done that, you can go ahead and think about the other answers. I wouldn't want to do your homework for you Wink

But if you post about what you *think* the answers are, I'd be happy to try to guide you in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Flying Changes Reply with quote

Hi,
I am trying to get my flying changes down. I am riding a horse that supposedly knows how to do them. I have tried a few different ways and just can't get it right. I have placed a pole down the diagonal line a few strides from the corner. I count to the pole, each time I count the horses hooves hit the ground, during suspension over the pole I ask for the change. I noticed you said to do it as the front fore hits the ground, not during suspension. Should i do it on the last stride before the pole or the stride over the pole when the front fore is already in front of the pole and the hind is behind the pole?
Also, what should I be doing with my hands? Should I give her room and release a little over the pole? Should I use an indirect rein in the direction i want to go? Should I keep her real tight on bit? Should I pull back over the pole to get her off her front end? I am sitting deep in the saddle and trying not to put my weight forward. Help! Confused

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Flying Changes Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to get my flying changes down. I am riding a horse that supposedly knows how to do them. I have tried a few different ways and just can't get it right. I have placed a pole down the diagonal line a few strides from the corner. I count to the pole, each time I count the horses hooves hit the ground, during suspension over the pole I ask for the change. I noticed you said to do it as the front fore hits the ground, not during suspension. Should i do it on the last stride before the pole or the stride over the pole when the front fore is already in front of the pole and the hind is behind the pole?
Also, what should I be doing with my hands? Should I give her room and release a little over the pole? Should I use an indirect rein in the direction i want to go? Should I keep her real tight on bit? Should I pull back over the pole to get her off her front end? I am sitting deep in the saddle and trying not to put my weight forward. Help! Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1