News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
BUYING A HORSE FOR MY DAUGHTER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Equine Management, Handling, and Health
littlerider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: BUYING A HORSE FOR MY DAUGHTER Reply with quote

My daughter is 4 years old and absolutely crazy about horses. She was taking lessons since she was 2 and now are doing beginners shows
(walk, trout, fig 8, cantor, poles).I was thinking about buying a horse for her, but afraid that if we buy it now, horse always will dominate. My daughter is not strong enough and very gentle with horses, so horses loves her and protects her (especially then she falls off). But it looks like the horse is in charge and helping my daughter. So my question is -is it possible now to buy a horse for her and establish right relationships
between them or we have to wait.
Birkat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would ask your daughter's instructor to refer you to a qualified horse trainer in your area to assist you with finding an appropriate horse or pony for your daughter. You may even want to try "leasing" a horse before buying. By leasing, you will experience what it likes owning a horse, without actually owning one. Many stables offer such an arrangement. Many people don't realize how much "work" there is in owning a horse and leasing is a good way to find out if it's right for you. Since your daughter is so young, I am assuming you will be doing most of the "horse" chores needed to keep a happy and healthy horse and barn. Therefore, I would also recommend an all around horse care book. You will also want the names of a qualified eqine veterinarian and farrier.

I'm a little confused by what you mean by "right" relationship. Each horse is unique with their own preferences, but I see no reason why a healthy relationship couldn't be established, as long as the horse is well suited to the abilities of your daughter. An older, more educated horse would be better suited to her needs, than say, a "green" horse.
Horses, being herd animals, need to gain your trust and depend on you. Remember and follow a few things faithfully:
be consistent in every aspect
be patient
be quiet in voice and movement and always listen to your horse.

Good luck and I hope this has been of some help.

All my best,
Kathleen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Equine Management, Handling, and Health All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1