News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Advise on trails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Advise on trails Reply with quote

A couple months ago, I purchased a beautful 10 yr old Quarab gelding. He is extremely good natured, a little green but very willing to learn and so far we are both progressing wonderfully. He has never been on the trails and I would like to take him out to broaden his horizons.

Any advise on a first safe trip? Would it be better if I walked him out with a halter and lead rope first? The trail that we would go on is about a eigth of a mile down a two lane semi busy road in order to access it.

I want us both to have a nice time.
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Guest. I hope you've been enjoying your Quarab. If you haven't yet begun on trails, then I'd agree that your suggestion is a good one. Taking a horse walking can help you develop your relationship. When you're walking with him, it can help him learn to look to you when he is nervous. This does translate to under saddle behavior, so a horse who has been led out may be more confident with his rider too.

Riding along roads can make a lot of people nervous. If you are uncertain about it, you might want to lead him past the busy road even after you you begin riding. Some people feel safer when leading a horse around roads.

Good luck on the trails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1