News
Services
Links
Discussion Forum
Working Log
Support LorienStable

Corner

Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
6yr old mare that rears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle
Raeanned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: 6yr old mare that rears Reply with quote

I have a 6yr old QH who rears when she gets agitated while I'm riding her. She starts chomping her teeth showing her agrivation and ultimately rears. I was brought up on the back of a horse but have never dealt with this problem. My aunt raised her from birth and she was trained by a professional. However, the only riding my aunt ever did with this horse was trail and she never really went beyond the basic walk/trot. She is fine when we stick to these basics but to go beyond that always results in a rear. I don't feel as though I am sending her mixed messages, the fit of her tack is good and her teeth are ok. I feel it is a dominance issue, I just don't know how to deal with it. I can confidently deal with any other situations she throws my way, just don't have the experience in this area to know what to do.

I have started over with basic ground work, lunging in a round pen and getting sumbission from her. In just a few days she has done very well and I plan to continue with this work. But, where do I go from here and how do I gain her submission while under saddle when we start the work she dislikes so much?
Any advise on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
galadriel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearing is the worst problem for an amateur rider to come up against. It's just too dangerous overall; rearing is a habit that will get both you and the horse seriously injured; in my opinion, it's not a matter of it, it's a matter of when.

If the horse rears in resistance, and does it consistently, eventually she's going to go over on you. The balance of a horse on her hind legs is very delicate; if you're just a little off balance when she goes into the rear; if you accidentally pull on her mouth; if *she* was a little off balance; if the ground is uneven or she steps into a hole...any of these can cause serious consequences. More than just injury, it could be fatal, for either or both of you.

I strongly recommend that you find a trainer to work with your mare on this issue. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Rearing is just too dangerous to recommend anything else.
Abby

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!!!
I have the same problem w/ my 5 yr old gelding except he rears when he thinks hes worked enough for the day...what ive tried to do is when i feel hes gonna rear i stop whatever it is i am doing( since a horse usually stops and raises his head 4 rearing) and when hes relaxed, i give him the softest aids to go forward and then i smack him on the butt. It works but is there no other way hat will permanenty stop rearng? galadriel you seem to be an experienced trainer and i just wanna know,what would you do in this situation? if anyone knows what to do, please write!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lorien Stable: Trainer's Notes Forum Index -> Under Saddle All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1